Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Open Letter

Dear Mom,

Your little girl has grown up, and I know your wish was for me not to see the reality of this world but sadly I have and I don’t want to sit here and let it keep happening. Your plan for me was to grow up and be a doctor and save people’s lives in a hospital. But my focus now is to save these teens on the streets that are drug abusing and dropping out of school because they need to support their family. I want to make justice for them and not just have pity for them. Walking to school was never your plan, you wanted me safe in car and getting dropped with a kiss and a hug but these past few years walking to school in the Richmond streets I have seen too much at times that I can’t believe how blessed I am. Social work is what I strive for Mom, in that way I can make you proud. Not only is this career for me but the satisfaction that some child or teen is safer than they ever were before. I can’t believe in front of our house where we eat, pray and have time together drugs are dropped right in front on accident by our neighbor who’s 12. He has no other way out he believes. You tell me make sure this is what you want to do, I don’t want you to pick a career where you will regret it. In my english class I have done research and most of it has be negative and its bothers me mom. But I want to become someone who makes a change. I found an article on of a woman whose name was Kimberly Hall she is a social worker and due to her work in many kids and teens most of them graduated and even got into ivy league schools. I want to know that my support my career is going to make a change not just in my life but a person who does not have a voice and I helped them have their voice be heard. Mom your ways of keeping me safe I appreciate but the circumstances of just walking to school have influenced me to have a career where I can be a help, or just someone to hear these people out and have the capacity to make justice for them. Mom I’m not trying to be superwoman but what I do strive to be is putting my big heart somewhere into something I love and not be taking someone’s blood for the rest of my life I don’t want to be vampire but maybe just a little more superwoman.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ahjajhjkh

Rachel said...

I really enjoyed this open letter to her mom. It showed a lot of emotion. Azquena has come along way and knows what her future holds! She is well on her way to being an exceptional sociol worker.

Rachel

Athziri said...

I totally agree with you Azquena. I grew up in Oakland where similar things happened, but eventually we moved out to a safer neighborhood in San Lorenzo. But I think that no matter where you are, danger will follow. You following your dream of becoming a social worker really does help stop that danger that surrounds us and gives us more peace.