Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Reflection Timeeeee

A reflection on starting this research for being a social worker.

Reflection before Research: 

Starting this research I was certain how social workers were great heroes and they job was active and if i chose this career I wouldn't be sitting at a desk. I can go out and help kids which is my main goal. I don't want a career that I'm going later to regret. I was planning to be a nurse after I graduated high school because I always thought the medical field was the best for me. When Mr.Hoshida my English teacher told us to do research on social work I was super excited and had a positive mindset that i would be even more convinced of my major. I was hoping to see good cases and really touching so tires online.

Reflection after Research: 

But after doing research I actually found that I can be a social worker in a hospital. Not many good reviews on being a social working. Looking through articles all I found was bad things and cases of children dying because of the social workers having to many case loads. That really scared me an article from the New York times interviewed a social worker who had 17 cases at a time. And the sad part was that the kids were being hurt or abused and sometimes the judge would disagree with their opinion. They deal with a lot. I got disappointed due to the research I found because it all was so negative. I knew their had to be somewhere I could find some good in the career of a social worker. I found an article of a man who attended a conference for social worker and he was really appreciative of this one social worker named Kimberley Hall. And due to her work in children many of them them graduated high school. Her story really touched me. I know most media likes to show the bad in stuff and not the good but I had to dig to find some good stuff. I had an interview with a social worker through emails and she inspired me to keep gong because she explained to me that she moves what she does. She sees her results in children and her work. I don't want to give up just yet I feel this career would be for me I have a big heart for kids. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dont give what people tell you most of the stuff on the internet is not true if that's what you want keep going for it !