Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Interview

This is an interview I did with through email with Susan a social work I wanted to interview someone who was an expert in this field. I felt her opinion and her experience would help me and see the real side of the career through someone's eyes. I did a total of 9 questions for her.

  • Her interview did give me more hope, that this job is a challenge but it really rewarding if you work hard and do with your heart =)


1. What type of social worker are you? Or are you in social welfare? 
I am a Associate Clinical Social Worker with a focus on Individuals, Families and Groups.  I have about 2 more years of supervised work before I will take the test to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

2. Does you job involve helping children ? And how 
I run the Wellness Center at Oakland High, where we serve ~1200 students each year, providing everything from mental health counseling to medical services and after school/education support services.  I also provided individual counseling to students who have substance abuse concerns. 

3. Have you seen a difference in the work you have in done in your clients lives? 
Yes!  I just talked with a student who graduated from Cal yesterday and who thanked me for working with him in his senior year to help him get through everything he was going through.  Other students come back all the time to thank us for helping them.  


4. What do you love most about your job? 
See above :)


5. What would you respond to those who just put down social workers and say they don't care about kids? 

I would say that some social workers are like that.  There are good ones and bad ones.  They are human as well.  I would point out that I am a social worker and I care a lot about kids.  

6. Do you recommend working for the government or non-profit organizations? 

Government pays better, but the case loads are crazy big, and the system is hard to work in, which is why some social workers become really negative and why some people feel like they don't care about people.  

On the other hand, working for a non-profit is tough because the pay starts out really low.  The training is usually really good, though, and the people are usually really cool.

7. Which is better masters or bachelors ? 

Masters unfortunately.  

8. Do you feel the challenges you face in your career are rewarding at the end because you felt you help the child ? Maybe if you can give me one experience would be perfect ? 

I work with a student who was smoking weed every day, at least twice a day in her 9th and 10th grade years.  She quit last year, and is about to graduate.  I met her mom, and I super happy for her. 

9. What was your motivation for choosing social work as your career ?
I didn't mean to.  I was a teacher first.  Then I got a job running the Wellness Center.  As I tried to help students, I realized I needed more tools to help them deal with all the crazy stuff that people deal with every day.  I took a class at Merritt for basic counseling and really liked that class.  Then I took a workshop for something called Motivational Interviewing.  The woman who taught it was an LCSW and I really liked her approach to the work of helping people.  That's when I decided to become a social worker.  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe social workers have a bad job they sit in an office most of the time. The social workers I have met have been not so nice but I could understand their stressed with bad situations

Unknown said...

Hi Azquena,
This is Scott testing your comments.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I never new how much they actually help kids. From her responses, you can tell she loves her job.